TIMELINE OF THE GROVE
The earliest written record of the Panagiotakopoulos family dates back to 1800. In this year they settled in the Peloponnese region and built their first small, stone house and planted young olive trees from the nearby mountain nearby. The home is still in use today.
The Royal Decree
With a royal decree to Eustathios Panagiotakopoupos, father of Elias (Mr ‘Duvichus’), the estates are officially registered to the family.
The estate named “Melissia” appears to be the first organized olive grove in the entire region.
The Planting Expedition
A young Mr Duvichus is 15 and his father almost 50. Together each morning they set out on trips to the mountains with their horses. Each evening they bring back wild olive trees to the grove. Over three years they plant more than 200 wild trees at the grove site, watering them from the local spring. These wild trees are bred with their Koroneiki trees to make the special variety of tree that we harvest on the grove today. Their hard work paid off!
Hungry for work and with an entrepreneurial spirit, they expand the grove, which means more land and more trees. The old stone house in the centre of the grove is now the focal point. The Duvichus family, the grove workers and the horses gather here to eat and get some rest between the hard work. In 2017 Ilias renovates the old house on the grove, restoring it back to its former glory.
A New Chapter
After John’s death the ‘Duvichus’ estate is taken over by Ilias. New trees are planted as well as the renovation of the old family buildings. For the first time ‘Duvichus’ Extra Virgin Olive Oil is sold abroad. The history continues, a new story begins…